Do I Need a Permit?

The Building Department is responsible for handling all zoning, planning, building permit approvals, land development, and subdivision matters of the Township. The Department is responsible for the issuance of various building and zoning permits, performs field inspection of all construction projects, and also conducts detailed reviews of subdivision and land development plans that are submitted to the Township for consideration by the Board of Supervisors.

Township Permit Coordinator

Jason Barron


LTL Consultants, Ltd.


Zoning Office Zoning Inspection Officer

Tracey Franey
Cedarville Engineering Group, LLC


On WVT premises
Mon and Fri – 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m./
Wed 12:00 noon – 4:30 p.m.


For setback and zoning inspections, contact Tracey Franey at 484-254-5375

The Zoning Officer acts as the liaison with the Zoning Hearing Board.

Building Code Official Building Inspection Officer

Matt Spellmann

ARRO Consulting

(cell) 484-880-3910

West Vincent Township has adopted regulations governing the process of constructing/altering buildings and their accessory structures within the Township with its building, zoning, plumbing codes and specific public safety/nuisance ordinances. Permits are required to protect the health, safety, and welfare of residents by assuring safe construction within Township building codes and the state and county codes.

A building permit is required prior to the erection, alteration, enlargement, or demolition of any building or other structure or portion of structure, (inclusive of sheds and driveways).

A zoning permit or use permit is required prior to the initial use of land or structure, change in the use of land or structure, or change in the use or extension of a non-conforming use.

Please refer Building and Zoning Ordinances for full provisions and exhaustive list of items requiring permits. The following are general items lists:

Typical items that do NOT require a Permit:
  • replacing like for like with no structural changes
  • roofing/re-roofing (sheathing does not need replacing)
  • fences under 6ft in height
  • windows and doors replacement (cannot have changes to openings)
  • landscaping (cannot be in the right of way)
  • insulation
  • ordinary repairs (painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finishing work)
  • rain gutters/leaders repair
  • fixture replacements (faucets, lavatories, toilets)
  • stone repainting
Typical items that DO require a Building Permit:
  • installation or modifications to any HVAC system​
  • any type of electrical work (including solar panel installation)
  • demolition of any structure (historical properties require a building and zoning permit)
  • plumbing work that is a change/addition to existing components
  • tank installation/removal
  • fire suppression systems new/alterations
  • windows where only the opening of the window is altered/repaired/replaced
Items that DO require a Building Permit and Additional Permits (i.e., zoning, electrical, stormwater, subdivision, etc.)

ALL work that is exterior or a new constructions requires a building and a zoning permit. 

  • construction of a new building or structure, additions, alterations (interior and exterior) of any kind to any existing structures (sheds, garages, temporary storage pods)
  • pools (above, in ground) and hot tubs
  • demolition of historic properties (building and zoning, others if applicable)
  • patios, decks, porches
  • driveways new/alterations to existing
  • signs
  • agricultural buildings, as described in PA Construction Code Act 45 of 1999 (only zoning permit required)